Doug Stern is a freelance writer and strategist. Doug spends most of his time as a law firm marketing content editor and ghostwriter.
In addition to legal services, his clients have included leading engineers and architects, medical practices and other professional service providers. Doug also works with manufacturers and real estate developers.
"I never discuss the work I do for my clients unless they've said it's OK to do that."
Here's the l-o-n-g version.
Law firm marketing and business development
- Silvia Hodges invited Doug to speak to her graduate students at Emerson College, Boston, in May 2013 on how to create more client-facing content.
- In March and April 2013, Doug edited sector descriptions as part of a large law firm's on-line content strategy.
- "I've had a busy first half of 2013, including re-messaging Web content for a small practice in Southern California, editing industry content for a firm based in Missouri and writing About Us content for a firm in Miami-Fort Lauderdale."
- "I've also been working again with Dmitry Churin, my client in St. Petersburg, who has rejoined Capital Legal Services, one of Russia's most highly-regarded law firms."
- Another Boston firm hired Doug in the fall of 2012 to edit its Web bios.
- "A solo lawyer in Los Angeles hired me in August 2012 to create content for his site."
- Doug worked with a Chicago IP boutique in 2012 to re-write all of its attorney bios.
- "In late 2011, a Providence-based law firm hired me to write new service area descriptions." The firm has continued to rely on Doug for special writing and editing projects, including case studies.
- Puget Sound Business & Litigation, a Seattle law firm, hired me in 2011 to write content for its new Web site. "Attorney Mike Galletch says he found me on Larry Bodine's Law Marketing Portal."
- "Since the summer of 2011, I've ghosted and edited several articles for a law firm client in the Mid Atlantic. This included a spec op-ed on patent reform in the U.S., which I edited."
- A Toronto-based law firm has used Doug for a variety of writing assignments and projects for various practice groups, including the firm's technology and payment areas.
- Hemenway & Barnes hired Doug to source and edit content for the Boston-based law firm's new Web site. It launched April 2010. "I've continued to handle a variety of other copywriting assignments for the firm."
“Impact? Consider the number of longtime subscribers who have volunteered that ResultsMail is a lot better these days…coinciding with your editing our submissions.”
Doug created messaging and copy for ISOSIGN
in the summer of 2010. Here's the brochure
he wrote for the infection-control smart sign system developed by Louisville-based SIGN4
Public awareness and policy communications
Real estate sales and development
- Doug Stern has created print ad concepts and copy as well as other collateral sales materials for two innovative urban redevelopment projects in Louisville: Park DuValle and Liberty Green.
- "In May 2011, I wrote the script for a brief video documenting the history of an international manufacturer for use in celebrating the corporation's 90th anniversary."
- "In the summer of 2010, I was hired by a top branding agency in Hollywood, Calif., mostly to handle edits to its new Web site. It launched in the fall of that year with my content. BIRD has used me on other projects, including branding content for one of the agency's key accounts." Doug pitched in again in early 2011 for another round of Web edits and new content.
- A book producer, Crescent Hill Books, hired Doug Stern in May 2008 to write nine case histories of graphic design branding campaigns from the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom. Market Smart: The Best in Age and Lifestyle Specific Design was published in spring 2009 by HarperCollins.
- Katie Bush Design hired Doug Stern in 2007 to write copy for a relaunched Web site. Katie's client was a DIY gourmet-to-go business in San Francisco.